Tuesday 3 April 2012

Days 66-68 Look out New Zealand, cause here I come!

April 2-April 4, 2012

I cannot believe the day has finally come, this afternoon I depart for New Zealand. I will arrive around 5 am Thursday morning and will be even further ahead in the future from you guys (about 19 hours). It was been a pretty awesome week so far and I wanted to share with y'all my happy times before I took off to Kiwi country. Not sure how reliable my internet connections will be, but I promise to update y'all as frequently as possible!

As previously stated, this week was my last week with my kiddos at my school. On Monday, we had a fun day- an Easter celebration. I was very surprised it was called "Easter Day" seeing that most of the people here are far from religious... The day was absolutely wonderful for the students- filled with Easter egg hunts, sensory exhibits, face painting (Karley and Angelina- one of my students requested a mustache, naturally I thought of you two!) , potato sack races, egg races, and spray painting. As most of you can imagine, the paint ended up everywhere but the canvas, including my leg. I spent the entire day with my legs looking like a neon frog! The weather has been quite gloomy here lately, raining the past couple of days, fortunately the rain held out for us and we were able to enjoy a lovely day outside of the classroom.

Yesterday was quite relaxing at school. Since the holidays are coming up and the students are pretty much at their whits end, we did a little work and even more play time. At the end of the day one of my students brought out the most precious card and said "Thanks Elizabeth." When I opened the card my eyes began to swell with tears. My wonderful teacher and her staff praised my good work and begged me to come back whenever I felt the need to! I also received a huge box filled with "heaps" of teaching supplies and a wonderful school calendar. One of the aides even practiced my accent because she said the students loved it so much! It was nice to know that my work was truly appreciated. I just wish I could pick up my classroom and move it back to Alabama with me. Once the students left, I enjoyed some down time with my teacher and educational assistants. It's so strange being away from them already, this will definitely take some adjusting.

Definitely going in a frame when I get home.

Well I am off to finish some last minute things before my adventure of the south island of New Zealand begins. I am so blessed to have this wonderful opportunity. I am a bit nervous about traveling alone so all prayers are appreciated. See y'all in just 15 days! Hooray :)

1 comment:

  1. Have a fantastic trip in New Zealand.
    We can't wait until you are back in the USA.
    Love,
    The Family

    ReplyDelete