Friday 16 March 2012

Days 42-44 "I'll think about it tomorrow..."

My oh my, it has been quite some time since my last post! I am going to try to catch y'all up as fast as possible. Beginning with last weekend...

Friday, March 9th

Well, finally my last day at my first placement. I really was surprised how sad I was at how sad I was to leave my staff and especially my students. What I wasn't so sad about- the heat. The high was 40 degrees, that's 102 back home. Anyways, back to school- the students were all pretty upset to have me leaving, they even got together and made me a wonderful card as well as some much needed hugs.

I spent my day getting everything together and visiting my new school, which I am very excited about. I did a couple of things out of the ordinary at school like reading "To Kill A Mocking Bird." After doing a short reading, I asked the students if they had any questions for me. The first girl raised her hand and asked "can you please say y'all for us?" I replied "y'all have a nice day, I'm off to class." They absolutely loved it! After school ended, my wonderful supervisor gave me a lovely card (that made me tear up, sigh) and a water bottle she had heard me talk over and over about. It has a filter inside, how convenient! How thoughtful of her to remember and go out of her way to purchase it for me!

Miss these guys already!

After school, Stacey and I took the bus into the city to meet up with Bob to go to the Rooftop Cinema.
As we were waiting in line, I saw the first polo button down I have seen since I have been here, I was in shock. This boy was a super frat star! Rarely do you ever see guys dressed in anything other than skinny jeans and v-neck t-shirts! It was nice to see some guys here know how to dress or dress the southern way I should say! We were starting to get quite nervous that we wouldn't get in to see one of my all time favorites- Dazed and Confused. The setting was perfect, with a gorgeous view overlooking the city. The entire "car park" was decked out as if we were back in the 1970's. Absolutely lovely! I couldn't believe that Stacey and Bob had never seen such a classic! After the movie, it was off for a late dinner- wine and pizza in the city. We were quite exhausted from our weeks so it was back home for some shut eye.


lovely


Saturday, March 10th

Well it was another early morning here in Bayswater, mainly due to the heat. I got up for a morning jog and quickly returned home. It was entirely too hot to do anything! After finishing up some homework and a little lunch (I even had a little vegemite on my sandwich, google it) Stacey and I headed to Subiaco to the markets and the West Coast Eagles footie game. We met up with the other COST students to take on this new experience. The first quarter was quite confusing, because none of us had a clue about AFL. Fortunately, two young lads were behind us and gave us a play by play of all the action. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how the game works, nothing like rugby or football to my surprise. On a side note, one of the guys asked me if we still had slaves and played banjos back in Alabama. I laughed and replied "yep, and we still use outhouses too." Not too sure if he could tell I was joking or not.. They consistently played their fight song over the loud speakers. All I could think about was my brother googling sports in Australia and singing the song over and over before I left. The heat got the best of us and it was back to bed for all of us...

Sunday, March 11th

Up bright and early for homework, once again. So close to the finish line! I have a countdown app on my phone until graduation that I find myself constantly looking at. After finishing up, Stacey and I headed over to Chelsea's for a barbecue with other COST students and some true Aussies. There never is a dull moment over at that household, always quite entertaining! I was able to sample some new cuisine- lentil, which will be my last time trying, and trifle- my favorite Aussie dessert. Well technically, it's European, but whatever...

I would love to post some pics of my adventures but am having a difficult time with the blog website. Apparently I have run out of room, party poopers...

No comments:

Post a Comment